Friday

Holiday Treat Cookies

With the potential for RK Treat-lovers to stop by during the Christmas holiday, I decided to cut some cookie shapes...using a tailor-made RK Treat recipe.

The first task was for locating a cookie cutter. I bought a 3 pack because it came with my desired Ginger Bread Man shape plus it was the most economical of those I found at the store. It also came with Pine Tree and Snowflake shapes. I assembled ingredients and kitchen tools.



I decided to reduce the standard batch into thirds. This would produce a thinner treat and thus a dough which the cutters would penetrate. I also decided to add various sprinkle toppings prior to cutting with shapes.

The first batch flopped. It set up in the bowl like concrete before I even stirred in all the RK's. The second batch wasn't any better. It boiled out of the bowl and created a huge mess in the microwave oven. I mixed the treats, spread them in the pan, added the topping, and even cut tree shapes. However the treats were so hard and brittle they resembled dead pine trees.





At that point I realized the marshmallow cook times were too long. I reduced them and started the third batch. The snowflakes turned out lovely. However the shapes were too intricate to allow rapid construction. Also the amount of scrap material was excessive. Originally I thought I would be able to use marshmallow fluff to join half-shapes together.Not likely.








With the learning curve adequately encountered and overcome, I prepared my final batch. Some precautions included:
  • Coat cutter edges with no-stick spray
  • Modify cutter layout plan
  • Enlist help to place buttons on figures


No comments:

Post a Comment